<>

Pearls and Lace, My Favorites!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Now We're Talking!! Favorite Lace Pieces

I'm back in business!  Or should I rather say, I'm back to blogging!!
My email is fixed (a new password did the trick), and the monitor is working, so I feel normal again!!
I did try to get my craft room better organized, but it's a slow process...and I keep on finding pretties to play with!!  Oh poor me...I know. Teehee!!  Hope y'all are wanting to see some room pics for the Where Bloggers Create party next month, 'cause I'm already taking pictures!!
Want to see some pretties?
I took these pics back a few weeks ago, so I thought I'd share them now.



The crocheted flowers above are commonly called Irish Lace, and have quickly become a favorite among lace makers and collectors for their beauty and ease of making.  They are fun little embellishments and I love the coloration and age of these in particular.  The raised edges forming the 'petals' makes it a unique style for doilies and runners, etc.  I see wedding dresses adorned with these while looking around pinterest and love the way they add such texture to the items made.

Below is a lovely example of lace-making lace...I don't know exactly what it's called, some call it honiton, brussels, or battenburg for example, but it is used to make other larger pieces of lace.  They are twisted into shapes and woven in between with tiny threads to make the actual lace.  The example below is my very very favorite of this sort that I've seen.  If you are curious, I found a listing on ebay (here) for some of this type of lace making trim, and one of the pictures with the listing shows a page from a book that shows different styles of this.  It is very interesting to see how different styles and thicknesses, from fine and narrow to thick and intricate could be had back in the day.  This particular example of trim is #117 according to that book!




Below is an example of coronation lace that also was used for lace making, same principle as the previous example, with the twisted pieces being formed to make elaborate and beautiful lace pieces.  The one below was being crocheted together to make a long piece, supposedly to become either some trim or something more.  Who knows.  BUT, I love coronation lace too, so was excited to find this big chunk of loveliness!!




There's your lace history for today!  I don't know much, but find it fascinating and always learn something interesting when I search.  One of these days I will purchase a lace book that tells more about the different types of lace and be able to share better what I have on hand.
Hope you had fun looking, and hope you all have a lovely week!
Blessings to you!
Doni


3 comments:

Tea Cottage Pretties said...

Dear Doni, I am so glad things are looking up in your neck of the woods! So very happy to see you back in blogland! I loath computer problems, it just rocks my world. I love the crochet flowers!! Do you make them? I bought some vintage extra large spools of cream thread and it is stained here and there. I loved how they looked and now I see that if I should ever learn how to crochet it will make beautiful things!!!I keep feeling very compelled to learn how to crochet so it is on my to do list for sure. Oh my wouldn't those be soooo pretty on a handbag..... Thank you for sharing your knowledge and your beautiful lace. Hugs, Beverly

Sarah Coller said...

Gorgeous, Doni! Thanks for the history lesson! :)

Ivy and Elephants said...

Wow great story. Thanks so much for sharing my dear! Beautiful things as well.

Paula

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Some of my very favorite posts: