<>

Pearls and Lace, My Favorites!

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pearls and Lace Thursday #133 Thread and Lace Bobbin Cards

Hello to you all!!  I certainly hope you are all experiencing nicer weather where you are!
We have finally sprung into spring (although another day of cold is expected), but the flowers don't care.  They have started blooming!!

I have been busy printing off sheets of cardstock with 9 images on each page.  Why?
Well, I'm making bobbin cards to wrap my smaller amounts of lace trims and some older embroidery threads.  I decided that I liked the look of the vintage and antique thread cards, so I went to my computer and started printing things I thought would work nicely.




Images that were used are from blogs like The Feathered Nest where Dawn such amazing lovely work and generously shares her wealth of beauty and materials with us.  Others are from The Graphics Fairy, and Pinterest.  Because I don't ever sell anything (I'm a bona fide hoarder!!),  keeping up with the donator of the free graphics has been difficult.  Please forgive me if I have used something that you shared and not given you credit.  If you will let me know, I will add your information to this post!


My past trys at making these had made me think about how I could make them a bit prettier, and perhaps a bit more feminine.  The blocky shapes did not excite me as much as the ones that were smaller, but I wanted to make some of the bobbins that had the trifold or quartet folded styles. 
A bit of looking around and I found a shape that would work.  Taking my pencil, I traced the outline from a Spellbinders template, and then I played with it.  Making the top half a bit smaller than the lower half seemed to give it the form I wanted.  By the way....I thought about my violin and how I could take the shape of my violin curves and make some violin shaped bobbins!  I will give that a try next week!!
OK.  What did I do?


After printing out the page of images (9 per page seemed the right size), I traced and cut three forms from my self-made template.



Fold each one in half lengthwise with the printed side in.
Place adhesive on the same side of each back (I used the top side of each of the pieces shown above).



Carefully match up two of the cut pieces so that they line up and stick together.  Add the third piece and adhere them together.


The final sides to stick together are the first and last, and when stuck together the three cards will now make one trifold card bobbin.


If you just wanted to make a single card, I suggest making the top piece out of cardstock, and reinforcing it with a piece of file folder (cheap!!) cut exactly to fit.  Adhere them together, decorate, and it's done!


If you make some of these let us know!  I'd love to see how they turned out!
It's time for Pearls and Lace Thursday!
The link is below, and I am excited to see what you have to share this week!!
Thank you to all of you who have left such sweet comments and who have joined my party.  You truly make my week delightful!
Blessings,
Doni






Parties I join:

13 comments:

Penny @ Penny's Vintage Home said...

Goodmorning Doni! Thanks for hosting another great party...hugs, Penny

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hello Doni,
Very pretty! I have a wee bit of lace this week so I thought I would join up with you. Thanks for hosting and have a beautiful day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Tea Cottage Pretties said...

Doni, I am really enjoying our cooler weather especially since the flowers are in bloom now. I love your cards you have made and I am so going to have to make some. Thank you so much for the tutorial! I admire the love and care your give to your beautiful collection. You have so many lovely pieces. Just think of yourself as the keeper of beautiful threads and lace.

Diane | An Extraordinary Day said...

What a fabulously clever and gorgeous idea!! I love it!
I'm wondering what adhesive you use. I have been using one that after a year or so dries up. And that isn't helpful to have things come apart. ;)
Blessings!

Unknown said...

thanks for hosting this party! I always appreciate the opportunity to share! Have a great day!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Dori, these are wonderful and I'm putting on my "to do" list. All I need is just more time : )

(())

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful and pretty idea, Doni. I love the beauties that you have to wrap around the cards. Such pretty and cheery colors.

Well, I'm adding your blog to my sidebar as a reminder to come back. Your craftiness is so worth visiting.

Blessings for more inspiration,
Marianne

Sarah Coller said...

Your creativity never ceases to amaze me! Hope you have a lovely weekend! My Homemaking party is open if you'd like to come link up!

Blessings,
Sarah

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Doni,
Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment about Rose!!

I love these!! You did a great job!! I wish that someday I will have the time to make something similar...

hugs,
Deb

Vicky said...

Hi Doni,

I've really enjoyed browsing your blog! There's so much that's inspiring here that I think it will take me a few return visits to read all I want to read.

I love all the crafts you do and, with my youngest now three, I'm just starting to find the time to do more sewing and crafts myself. I'm looking forward to following your posts:-)

God bless, Doni:-)

PS. You're a great writer - I enjoyed reading your tabs, too!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi, just found you from Redo 101. Love these cards! Happy to be a new follower and hope to join your party sometime.
hugs,
Jann

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

I just adore looking at all your goodies! You have an inspirational craft room and supplies!

Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
Laura

Anonymous said...

Hello Doni,
And greetings from Laguna Beach.
I am so pleased to pop in and visit you today.
Seriously, you have the largest most beautiful stash of vintage laces, trims and lovelies!
Thank you for sharing all the pretties with the best photos, it makes a girl just swoon!
XoX paulette

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Some of my very favorite posts: