<>

Pearls and Lace, My Favorites!

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Pearls and Lace Thursday #119 Bobbin Lace

Bobbin Lace Making is a skill that I have never attempted, although it looks very interesting, and the outcome is fabulous.  For a quick history of Bobbin Lace, here is the link to the Wikipedia site where its history is given.



As a lover of lace, I would have been sorely lacking if I neglected to own some of the items that go into the making of this lovely lace trim.  (That's my excuse anyway...).  I have looked for some examples of bobbin lace to show you, and I THINK the pieces shown are bobbin made.  If anyone knows otherwise please clue me in!




The wooden bobbins I've acquired are of two styles.  The pillow that the work is actually made on is a bit worse for wear, but oh the stories it could tell!! (probably all in French!).




The graphics on the pin holder are so cool.  And the instruction booklet is just fascinating!  If they would just make boxes and packaging with lovely colors and graphics today, I'd buy them just for that sake!!

The cardboard pieces that are used for the pattern are pinned on a wheel inside the pillow form, and the threads are wound around the pins to form the pattern. 




I was delighted that a small scrap of handmade lace was included in the box of items I received.  The handwriting in French, the lace piece delicate and fragile...
I have a Pinterest board dedicated to Bobbin Lace if you'd like to see some excellent pictures of the artform.
You can find it HERE.
I recently began a huge transformation in my home.
It's a real biggie...and it involved my craft room.  Can you guess what I'm doing?




It's time for Pearls and Lace Thursday!

Feel free to share your post of anything lovely that you'd like us to see. Just paste the copy of your url code from your post to the link below.
I'd also like to welcome my newest followers! Howdy to each of you!
May you each have a blessed week,
Doni




I will be joining a few parties myself this week!
Mosiac Monday at

Make it Pretty Monday
Today's Thrifty Treasures at
Show Off Your Cottage Monday at
Cowgirl Up Party Monday
Just Something I Whipped Up
Knick of Time Tuesday
Open House Party
Cottage Garden Party
Hope in Every Season
Blissful White Wednesday
Adorned From Above
What's It Wednesday
Whatever You Want Wednesday
Grace at Home
Time Travel Thursday
Vintage Thingie Thursday
Minute for Me Thursday
Home Sweet Home
Feathered Nest Friday
Show and Tell Friday
It's a Hodgepodge Friday
Frugalicious Friday
A Crafty Soiree
Vintage Inspiration Friday
Inspiration Friday
Thrifty Things Friday
Simple and Sweet Fridays
Shabbylicious Friday
Potpourrie Friday
Flaunt It Friday
Pink Saturday
Sew Darn Crafty

11 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh Doni, if only you and I lived closer ! I have asked a local lace making group full of elderly ladies if they will let me join their group.They told me to come back in 30 years time when I am old and grey ! lol
They make bobbin lace and I love sitting there watching them. One day they even had me weaving ! Your crafy room is going to look incredible. I cannot wait to see you create a stunning place to create and display your beautiful lace.
I'll be in touch next week about our swap, I am gathering some pretties for you.
Hugs and blessings xo

Trisha said...

YOu always have such pretty and interesting things to share...I alaways enjoy it! Thanks for hosting!

~Trisha

Ana Love Craft said...

Wow Doni, what an absolutely wonderful post!Love it!!!
Thanks so much for hosting.
Have a great week!

Blessings from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Antiques And Teacups said...

I have quite a few bobbins but have never attempted it myself. What a great post, and beautifully photographed.
Ruth

Heirloom treasures said...

Doni I can't wait to see what you do with your craft room. I love it just like the picture,it's so inviting. So many treasures.
I have linked today and if you get time to pay a visit,see if you can recognise the doily on my cushion. xx

Elizabeth Johnson said...

Beautiful finds. The tiny scrap is truly the best find of all.

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Doni,

What beautiful laces! I have seen a lady do this work at a Victorian fair I went to a few yrs ago. Makes me dizzy just to look at the pattern! Just exquisitie work!

Debbie

Mom E. said...

Doni.....DONI......DONI!!!!!!!
I am almost hyperventilating over your craft room....a....whatever you are doing!!! I loved it before....and it will be such fun to see what it becomes!
I wanted to thank you for your reminder that faith is a "gift from God". He invites us to ask for it and we accept that invitation by planting a small seed of faith. As we think of Him and turn to Him, He nurtures that seed in us, as we submerse ourselves in His word, the scriptures, we are continuing to invite His loving heart and influence into our lives and that faith grows. As we, throughout or daily living, think of Him and our Savior Jesus Christ, we find that they are everywhere in our lives. And as we express gratitude to them for that companionship, we feel them even more. That is how faith has grown in my life. I love the beautiful things of the earth, and I create things similar to them...floral wreaths, my birdhouse I posted about, with fabric and floss, I cross stitch flowers and trees and create beauty in a similar manner. I appreciate their gifts, every single gift. Particularly the gift of God's Son and the Atoning sacrifice He made for us....Heart hugs to you today, and every day!
Betsy

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Wonderful collections! Thanks for hosting a great party!

Jody

Wilma said...

Hi Doni,
Love this post, beautiful pictures!
Where do you find such treasures ?!!
Love old tools like that !!!
The making of lace like this looks so complicated,
the patterns make me dizzy !! ...the results are wonderful.
You have already done so
much work in your new craftsroom. It takes a lot of time to
arrange so many items. I'm sure it will look great in the end! I would love to actually be there to take a look......and see you!!!

Hugs and blessings, Wilma.

Annesphamily said...

You are putting a huge smile on my face! I love lace too! AM trying to convince my hubby to help me decorate with pastels this Spring/Summer! He loves red! LOL! I have to work on him! Thanks for sharing and I want to see your craft room when it is finished! : )

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Some of my very favorite posts: