<>

Pearls and Lace, My Favorites!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pearls and Lace Thursday #65

It's Pearls and Lace Thursday!
And I've promised an interesting "Vintage Sewing" themed post today.
I've also got an object that I can't identify! 

So, last weekend, my hubby and I were out looking for some garage sales.  We stopped at a few only. And the last one was AWESOME!  He had to go back and get the truck!!!
And what did we find???
Well, I'm going to share a part of the haul!

I'm particularly fond of vintage sewing items, so when a precious lady offered me these items, I just was overjoyed to say the least.  I couldn't wait to get home and explore the contents.


As each piece was opened or touched, I felt as if I were being given a moment's glance of a sweet lady's life.  The care that each piece had been packed away with, the labels on some of the lace stitching to tell the pattern!  They were all bits and pieces of a whole that worked together almost like a puzzle to show me a picture of a woman from the past, much loved and who loved much.





From an old Sucrets tin full of hooks and eyes to a tin of "Cascarets" to help cure chronic constipation!






There were quite a few pieces of lovely crocheted edges that were saved along with all the sewing items.
And a piece in particular I was not sure of.  Can anyone identify the wooden piece above??  Was it a needle threader or some kind of lace maker???


And then there was this fantastic piece.  The Lace Bag.  I LOVE it!  The pattern as well as the aged discoloration of it makes it just gorgeous to my vintage loving eyes!


Here was a surprise.  A folding lorgnette!


And finally, the love story I hinted at in the previous post.
This little lady's name, and her husband's!
The little tiny box below is a ring box, and on the top of it are the words,
"From John To Ida"

Now tell me, what woman hasn't saved the most precious boxes that her husband gave her?  The items included were precious, yes, but sometimes the box is what we put aside to cherish.  And Ida cherished her husband and his gift to her. 


I must say, the picture is still a bit fuzzy, the face a bit blurred, but the hands and heart of this little lady Ida have come into focus for me.  She was a hard-working woman who was loved and who loved.  She put her hands into making delicate items for others to enjoy, she kept things that were important to her.  Ida was a woman we all hope to be someday, and I hope her and all the little ladies before her that loved and worked and saved and created will be remembered just as fondly.
And who knows.  Maybe when our own sewing boxes are opened up by a seeker of 'vintage' some time in the future, our own hearts will be seen and remembered and our own works and objects cherished.
And so that the next generations will know, I think I'll start making some notes to add to my treasures...
just so they'll be able to see the picture better.


I hope you enjoyed this look into Ida's Sewing Basket.  The joy of now owning and caring for her items will give me a lot of pleasure in the future.  And I have a new item that just arrived in the mail (well, on my front porch!!) that I can't wait to share with you....but it will have to wait until next week.  You won't want to miss it either!!  So make sure to come back and visit next week as well!

It's time for the Linky party!  Please link up your own blog post and share with us something lovely!  That's all, just something that makes your heart joyful.  Please no sales items or shops, and please link back to this post somewhere on your blog.

I love to go to parties, and will be adding the post to some of the parties I keep listed on my sidebar to the right!  Be sure and take the time to go by and visit them.  The hostesses of these link parties have worked so hard to make them fun.  And I must also say that never a week goes by that I don't find a new blog to peruse and enjoy!  Thanks to you all for making Pearls and Lace so fun!

I hope you all have a wonderful week!
Blessings, Doni




12 comments:

Unknown said...

I have no idea what it is but it's really cool looking!

Trisha said...

You definitely found a treasure! Can't wait to see what else you got!

~Trisha

Bobbie said...

Thank you for your visit and kind comments...happy to be here. Enjoy the day.
Bobbie

Lynn said...

I'm so happy for you to become the new caretaker of such precious objects of love. I can tell from your post that you'll take good care of these vintage treasures. I love vintage sewing notions too. I just wish I knew what to do with some of them! Lovely post!
:)Lynn
www.cottageandcreek.com

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Hi Donnie!

I love all these vintage treasures you found! The history is so sweet. thanks for sharing with us. I hope to join in tomorrow. I'm going to bed now.

Debbie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love it all! The lace bag is gorgeous...just beautiful! ♥

Tammy at Tammy Loves Dishes said...

What a precious post, Doni! I loved reading your delightful recounting of the sewing items you found. You brought alive for me Ida's sewing basket and I am so happy that someone such as yourself was the recipient of these treasures.

janah said...

I am a avid collector of vintage sewing items and I love your find. I zoomed in and envied each piece. My imagination goes along the same lines as yours to easily envision the lives and loves of the former owner. She was very fortunate to have her saved little treasures find such a loving home.

Ames said...

I wish I still had my mom's sewing tin. I think my sister may have it. But I still have the Planters P-nut can my parents used to keep their money in when they moved to Florida. Later she filled it with pretty buttons. And since my daughter strung buttons up for fun at her gramaw's house, I passed it on to her.~Ames

Favourite Vintage Finds said...

Lovely basket full of lovely treasures!

Diann said...

Whata great collection of vintage sewing items! You really have some fun items. Thank you for being part off TTF and have a wonderful day!

Willnnabel said...

I believe it is for rug hooking, I am however envious of the lovely tatting shuttles in the last picture, beautiful.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Some of my very favorite posts: