<>

Pearls and Lace, My Favorites!

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Pearls and Lace Thursday #115 Notions and Laces

It seems to me that those of us living in the United States are missing something.
As I've wandered the internet and visited so many other countries, I have found that the sewing items there are much more elaborate and beautiful than what we can find here.
The items I find here in Texas are useful and necessary, not so much lovingly handcrafted for beauty.
I guess that's why laces are so eyecatching to me.
They're beautiful!


A few years ago I purchased a very OLD, rusted, and neglected trunk that I wanted to restore.  Well, let's just say it's too far gone to be restored.  So I took the inside tray out and decided to try to use it for something.  It is very old and decrepit (is that the right way to spell that??).  Falling apart, dusty, and wobbly...it just needs some TLC.  But I wanted to use it for a post and fill it with lace.  And thread.  And buttons...






Now don't get me wrong here.  I love old sewing notions period.  Whether from near or far!  Whether metal, celluloid, wood;  buttons, lace, or thread...they all fascinate me.  I just can't pass a spool of thread or jar of buttons...and lace....well watch out!!



I'd love to have a shop that I could fill with things that were gently used so that others could enjoy them.
But I'm afraid that with my love for those kinds of things, I just wouldn't open the doors to the public, but would just play with them and take pictures....move things around and do it again!!!





With the collection of laces that I've lovingly hoarded collected over the years, I've slowly learned more and more about the way they were made, the regions certain ones were made, and the history behind them. Women all over the world love lace, and men too!  The industry of making lace in factories is also interesting, although those laces are not as exciting to me...
When I find an exceptional piece, I touch it with clean hands and great care.  I feel like I'm supposed to be a caretaker of lace.  I think that's why I have such a difficult time crafting with my laces!
But I did recently, and next week I'll show you my efforts.


One of my favorite things to do is to Pin on Pinterest.  You can see my Pin Boards here .  The fun of pinning is not just finding a picture of an object I want to pin, but burrowing further and finding the source of the picture.  Most of my finds have led me to a blog or a website of pictures that make my mouth water.  New blogs I've found have consumed my time as I click through years of back posts and I feel like I've found a new magazine that I can drool over!!
Now, I need to learn French, German, and a dozen other languages so that I can REALLY get the whole thing, but pictures say a thousand words, right??

And a wonderful surprise for me when I went to Pink Saturday at How Sweet the Sound!!
Dear Beverly had recognized my last Pearls and Lace Thursday post as being the most viewed last week for her Blog Party!!! I was blown away!!  Thank you Beverly, and thank you to all who clicked over here and visited!!

It's time for Pearls and Lace Thursday, and please forgive me for being so wordy today.  It must be the (diet peach) pie from Thanksgiving!!
Add the url code for your post to the link below and show us your lovelies.
I'd like to welcome my newest followers too!  Thank you all for coming to visit and for joining me each week for the party!
Blessings,
Doni



I'll be joining some parties this week too!
Mosiac Monday at
Make it Pretty Monday
Today's Thrifty Treasures at
Show Off Your Cottage Monday at
Cowgirl Up Party Monday
Just Something I Whipped Up
Knick of Time Tuesday
Cottage Garden Party
Blissful White Wednesday
Adorned From Above
What's It Wednesday
http://ivyandelephants.blogspot.com/
Whatever You Want Wednesday
Grace at Home
Time Travel Thursday
Vintage Thingie Thursday
Minute for Me Thursday
Home Sweet Home
Feathered Nest Friday
Show and Tell Friday
It's a Hodgepodge Friday
Frugalicious Friday
A Crafty Soiree
Vintage Inspiration Friday
Inspiration Friday
Thrifty Things Friday
Simple and Sweet Fridays
Shabbylicious Friday
Potpourrie Friday
Flaunt It Friday
Pink Saturday
Sew Darn Crafty

29 comments:

Trisha said...

I find myself being drawn to pretty laces too! And wouldn't I just love to have a shop like you mentioned...it would be so hard to let others in though! Thanks for letting me join in this week!

~Trisha

Mary said...

I wish I could find pretty laces and threads here too. I think our lack of beautiful sewing accessories is reflected by our culture. When you look at the clothes women wear today with no frills and such ~ it is self perpetuating we can't find the frilly things so we don't wear them, because we don't wear them we can't find them to buy ~ we can't find them to buy so we don't wear them. the circle keeps going round and round. My mother's and grandmothers' clothes had bits of lace ~ fancy buttons ~ trims ~ and were made from fancy fabrics. I try to 'frilly up' my own clothes and wear fancy pins and scarves.
Thanks for an insightful post. I visit for your beautiful eye candy and the great 'finds' you come up with.
Mary

Doris said...

What a lovely blog and I'm now following you. I'm visitng family and don't have my antique lace collar to send a picture of it. Just not sure the proper name to call it. I will try to take a picture to send but can't until maybe December. I did want to send a comment to let you know I feel blessed to have found you. Will get back in contact with you.

Blessings,Doris

Stephanie said...

I always enjoy visiting your blog and reading your delightful posts -thank you for sharing :)
Have a blessed day!

Hugs,
Stephanie

Mom E. said...

Such a beautiful "collection" of laces and pearls! I might have to blog about some of mine and share them! I just love looking at all your threads in our posts....I started cross stitching at 16 and that was 27 years ago! I have fallen in love with ribbons and laces and pearls and beautiful fabrics...they make my heart warm and pitter patter...Is something wrong with me? LOL I think the definition is ADDICTION!!!
Thanks so much for your beautiful sharing!
Hugs,
Betsy

Unknown said...

Very good post today Doni...I love your lace and pearls! Thanks for giving us a look-see! Hugs

Heirloom treasures said...

oh your treasured laces and buttons are a joy to see,I never tier of coming over for a peak. xx

Chenille Cottage said...

What a beautiful post! I just love all the sweet and feminine laces and bobs you have featured. My grandmother taught me to tat when I was young. I am in awe of all the vintage treasures. Such darling pink scalloped trim...Oh, how pretty!
I have just joined in on your party. Thank you for hosting.
Blessings,
Carolynn

Ana Love Craft said...

I loved your adorable post! I'm always fascinated by laces, buttons, threads and pearls. I crochet since age 5 and my mother was only 4 years old when she began.I still have our first work, a a treasure!Thanks so much for sharing those wonderful photos!
Thank you so much for hosting the party!
Have a wonderful week!
Greetings from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Ivy and Elephants said...

Thanks so much for hosting, I love coming here and seeing all the gorgeous laces!
Hugs,
Patti

Tea Cottage Pretties said...

Oh my I so love your tray that came out of your chest. I love all your lace and I so get that it is hard for you to craft with it. I have a hard time using my special things as well. I just want to hold them and play with them but I can't bring myself to use them. Having said that I am so excited and I can not wait to see what treasure you have made!!! Hugs, Beverly - Tea Cottage Pretties.

Melanie said...

Oh Doni if only you were closer I would take you to my lace 'hot spots'. I am lucky enough to have antique dealers who offer me first dibs on any new lace. Today I bought the most divine peachy pink and lace bed jacket from the 30's. If I can fix my blog problems I will run a story on it. If I opened a store I wouldn't sell a thing, I'd probably hide all the good things so nobody else could find them ! x

Unknown said...

Hope you have a blessed weekend!!

Mrs. Sarah Coller

Sally Annie Magundy said...

What a beautiful collection you have! I'm sharing some of my grandmothers lace today on VTT and it's all in rather sad shape. Have you cleaned all of yours? I'm afraid to do anything with mine for fear it will deteriorate and fall apart.

Happy VTT!

Chenille Cottage said...

Hi doni,
I just read your sweet comment on my blog. I'm so glad you stopped by and said hello.
I just love the names you chose for your pups! I can't wait to share your story with my husband. He will love it, too. Such a sweet melody your dogs have all made in your life, my new friend!
Have a happy day!
Blessings,
Carolynn xxx

Melanie said...

Doni I simply had to tell you that today I had a call from an antique dealer. She said that she had put together a whole box of lace that she had brought back from England and wanted me to go through it all and pick what I wanted. I couldn't help thinking of you and I knew that you would adore it as much as I do. When I lifted the lid off the box I died and went to lace heaven ! lol It was so amazing ! I am having blog issues at the moment but if you look up my facebook page with the same name, I will pop some photo's up so you can see. My new finds are from Nottingham and were made deep within caves underground where the women would go in war time to go for safety. They would sit and make their lace by candlelight. The stories I was told today by the dealer had me mesmerized. I am going to look it up on the internet and see if I can find out some more information about it. I hope this message now finds you smiling because I know that you love lace as much as I do x

Diann said...

Hi Doni! Oh, everything is gorgeous! And I agree, you need a cute little shop and just fill it with all this loveliness! Thank you for sharing at TTF this week and I hope you and yours have a fun weekend! Take care. Hugs, Diann :)

Adorned From Above said...

Thanks so much for hosting. I always love your posts. They are so beautiful. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this with everyone. Here is the link to the party.
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/11/washi-tape-idea-book-and-wednesdays.html
Debi @ Adorned From Above

Valerie said...

The images of your lace collection are stunning! I would have a hard time crafting with those as well. I am the same way about certain fabrics. I purchase them for the sole purpose of quilting only to find I can't bear to cut the yardage! That's why I stick to my precursor! LOL

mypinkprettiesaboutme said...

I love seeing all of your hoarding err I mean collecting. I would be very hard pressed to cut any of it myself. Thx for sharing

HPS

ML

Chubskulit Rose said...

Pretty Pink! Have a great weekend.

Crystal Air Pink

Melanie said...

Doni I have hopefull fixed my blogger problem so I have attached the photo's/story to your linky party. Enjoy ! x

bj said...

I'm not into sewing but all these things are beautiful.
Bet you make some lovely crafts with them.
Over from Pink Sat.

Jeanne said...

What a great idea for the old trunk tray. I am always amazed at the old lace and vintage sewing items. The work is fine and speaks of days gone by. Your post is lovely.
Hugs, Jeanne

bohemiannie! art said...

Oh yes. I have a collection of laces and notions and buttons and baubles...that would boggle the mind. I totally relate.

Wendy said...

Like you I love pretty laces and find it hard to use them...I do try to use some of them though....I hope one day to go to France and shop for lace there...that is on my bucket list to do...

The Busy Bee's said...

You are so talented!! You have a beautiful blog, filled with beautiful things! We hope you will come back this week! Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop. This weeks party starts at 12:01AM on Wednesday and runs through Sunday night. Have a great week.
Debi, Joye and Myrna (The Busy Bee's), Linda (Two Succulent Sisters)

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful post on Simple & Sweet Fridays. Always love seeing your beautiful things!



Jody

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Thank you for linking up at Shabbilicious Friday Doni.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Some of my very favorite posts: