<>

Pearls and Lace, My Favorites!

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Ode to Grossmutter




Not sure about this setup...in fact as I look at it closer, it's just tooooooo busy! Too much lace or something. Now how y'all do it, I just don't know. Maybe I need to take lessons on how to set up a beautiful vignette. My dresser belonged to my Grossmutter (grandmother) we pronounced it "Growshmudder", who was my biggest fan. She lived 3 doors down the street from us. She was born in March in the late 1800's. When I was a young child, she moved to a retirement home and couldn't take all of her furniture, so both my sister and I got her bedroom suites, mine including this dresser. I've always loved it, mostly because it was hers. I can remember the top middle drawer. It was where she kept her clip-on earrings and a picture of her son who had died too young. It was a school picture, of a young man with a silly grin on his face. At the time, we didn't have a clue...he wasn't there for us to know. What we did know was that it was special to Grossmutter...and now that I have two sons of my own, I know just HOW special. So the drawer is special. And those earrings..she kept them on a plastic earring holder like a short wide ladder. The pairs of earrings clipped to it, and my sister and I got to play with them like dressup. Grossmutter was always finding little things for us to do or enjoy. So many memories of my childhood with her were made right next to this dresser. And her favorite color was purple, her favorite flowers violets (she raised some GORGEOUS African violets!). So the purple tins with the violets are because of her. I guess a lot of her favorites rubbed off on me. I loved her house, the smell of the mothballs (yes, I'm wierd), and the crystal chandelier over the dining room table. The cedar panelled room with all the windows. The plastic Christmas Tree for the table that you stuck the gumdrops on every year. Her CATS! TONS of CATS! And her sweet smile, gray hair, and wrinkled face of love for me. I miss you Grossmutter. Thanks so much for letting me have your dresser...I love it and always will.

Doni



3 comments:

Low Tide High Style said...

What a wonderful tribute to your beautiful grandmother! My grandparents lived just a few doors down from us growing up too and I have so many wonderful memories of their home and the love they shared with us!

Kat :)

Rebecca said...

Hello
What wonderful memories you have of your lovely grandmother. Isn't it something how we have such an influence on others. I have 2 of my grandchildren coming this week to visit and I always try to instill one special thing while they are here and always that they are loved
Blessings
Rebecca

The Old Parsonage said...

Oh how great to have such wonderful memories. We lived right next door to my parents for years and our sons have wonderful memories to last them too!

And I like your vignette. But maybe you should stack two of the boxes and use less lace if you're looking to change.

Enjoy your weekend!

I'm off to become a follower.
Leann

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Some of my very favorite posts: